Seeking information about Transforms

Place to post in-game information as your character.

Moderator: Dante

Seeking information about Transforms

Postby terik » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:04 pm

I am a humble farmer turned adventurer. In my recent travels, I had the good fortune to meet some seasoned heroes that were "dedicated" or had the assistance of "transform".

Where can I further my studies of this subject?

My thanks,

Terik Locklain
terik

Transformations

Postby Cirin Icerider » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:09 am

Goodman Terik,

If you wish to study magic, you may apply to the Willowdark Academy and study the arcane arts and sciences there. If you are seeking a more summary understanding of transformations perhaps this information may suffice.

Essentially, a Transformation is a Formal Magic (commonly known as a Ritual), that augments the Spirit of a mortal being. By augmenting the Spirit, both the Spirit itself and the Body that holds that spirit gain greater physical and magical ability. This ability typically takes the form of augmented physical strength and resilience, immunity to some forms of attack, and ability to use new elemental, arcane or magical attack forms. Many Transformations also include disadvantages, such as a lack of metabolism when the Transformation is active (and the included immunity to Life spells, this author has seen friends die while transformed due to this weakness), or having an augmented vulnerability to certain attack forms (such as a Fire Elemental being more vulnerable to Ice attacks than a normal mortal).

Most Transformations involve some form of allegiance or alliance with extraplanar beings, although that is not strictly necessary. Commonly, Transformations are to a being affiliated with one of the 12 Elemental Planes (Fire, Stone, Air/Lightning, Water/Ice, Light, Darkness, Dream, Reason, Death, Life, Chaos, Order), although other transformations are possible. Transformations to Undead beings are well documented, although highly illegal, and academically speaking would likely be Elemental Chaos transformations.

A Transformation allows a mortal spirit to become a different type of being, although the conversion has limits. First and foremost, a Transformation is generally dormant. While it may grant a handful of minor abilities on a persistent basis, only in times of great stress or when the extraplanar beings that granted the Transformation see it as being within their interests does that Transformation give its full effect to its recipient. Practically speaking, this means only in times of great danger does one gain the vast majority of benefits from their Transformation.

Transformation magics do become permanently effective upon permanent death of the recipient, although as the actual Transformation effect lasts only two years upon a mortal recipient this is generally only of academic interest and not a practical method of gaining power by transformation. Those that have permanently died and become permanently Transformed may have little in common with their former selves in terms of personality, as their minds have become largely supplanted by their Transformation and any planar beings which control it.

In Service to The Crown I Remain,

Lord Cirin Icerider
Lord Master of Guilds of All Willowdark
Council of Willowdark
Archmage of Healing and Abjuration
Defender of the Griffin
Cirin Icerider

Postby sciclone » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:07 am

There are many transforms that can be used to strengthen one's spirit and imbue not only power but affinity to a chosen path. In Willowdark these transforms are usually more powerful and take on a more personal meaning. As Lord Cirin stated this is a formal magic and one that requires a specific scroll and components to be completed. I am willing to assist in giving as much information as possible to aid you in your quest.

Archwizard Mylorn of Willowdark
sciclone

Postby terik » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:39 am

My deepest thanks to you both. I am richer now that you have shared your knowledge. Though I am nowhere near able to consider such a decision, I better understand the world around me.

In your debt

~T. Locklain
terik

Postby KozeyMTN » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:49 pm

Terik,

I don't know you from the next guy, so I will be as blunt as possible on this.

If you are just mildly curious on this subject, or its a passing fancy, then walk away from it now. Binding your spirit to another creature is not a thing to be done lightly. From an academic or ethical point.

While the idea of "free power" seems all fine and dandy, its not that simple. Some of these exaltation's take much from you. Be it service, time, resources, or worse... part of your essence. Nothing is this world is free. Believe me on that.

But if you find your curiosity in this subject is serious, then think long and hard about it. Don't just take whatever you can find. Even if it is something of great power. Because you don't want to align your spirit with something that doesn't fit you. Find something that matches you. Your personality. Your outlook. Your style. It will go a long way seeing that you and the new you work together better.

Yes, I have an exaltation on my spirit. I have had it for 5 years now. The same type. Renewed by my Lady when the bindings grow weak. I know others who have them as well. ones that fit them well, and some who took them just for the momentary power it provided. And now, they have something on them that does not fit. And it burdens them

So. I'll recap. If you are serious, find what calls to you, and fits you. But do not tread lightly on this subject. Your spirit is not something to play games of "dress up" with.

Oh, and to touch on something mentioned earlier. Death. When you die with a transformation on your spirit, you become that creature. But you lose alot of yourself in the process. You are not you anymore. It may take minutes, days, or months... even years, but your identity will surely be lost in the merging, and a new creature is born to this world in your passing.

In Service to the Courts of Autumn,
Sir Zazel Lanther
Knight Protector of the Unseelie
My Queen's Shield
Consort to My Lady
Leannan Sidhe
KozeyMTN

Return to In-Game Board