New Player Here

Place to post out-of-game information.

Moderator: Dante

New Player Here

Postby saintsinner » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:02 pm

Hi, just registered. I had heard of NERO before, but didnt think ky had one. Me & some friends are reading the rule book now & will be trying to attend the next event if we can. :)

I myself am contemplating a necromancer, a barbarian or a thief. Just cant decide. :roll:
saintsinner

Postby saintsinner » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:52 am

I am still reading the rulebook at the moment, but I am leaning towards the barbarian at the moment.

My reasons are as follows.

1- I look very barbarian-ish. Beard, long hair, 6 ft tall 200 lbs, mid-heavy build.

2-I am pretty sure I could pull off the barbarian attitudes, ways, superstitions(why am i reminded of the black spot from dead mans chest so much by this??)

3 - I actually have an idea for a very nice outfit to put together. As soon as I find out the next event date I will start putting it all together.

Plus its always good to start off a new hobby like this with a bash them upside the head class, in my opinion. :lol:
saintsinner

Postby Cirin Icerider » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:35 pm

Kentucky has had a NERO chapter since early 2005. We have usually two weekend events a year, and a few one-day events.

I know Ben and Kyle (the chapter owners) are trying to get another weekend event together for later this year, and are going to announce it when the time is finalized.

As for necromancers, while it's in the rules, I really would not suggest it. In-game it's quite illegal (get caught casting a single Cause Light Wounds spell and that's a death penalty), and the in-game laws are pretty strongly enforced. Now, that's not to say that nobody ever casts it, some PC's do and are sneaky about it, and it's routine for villains.

As for the rules, the rulebook as written has been pretty heavily modified by errata and revisions in the ten years since it was released, and the NERO Kentucky site has a link to all the playtest rules in use (which are playtests in the loosest sense, most of them are used by most NERO chapters and are de facto standard). Some big changes are that PC's start at 30 build now (65 xp to be precise), and you have to call the damage/healing total for each spell you cast, so a Magic Missile would be "I Call Forth A Magic Missile 5" and a Cure Light Wounds would be "I Call Upon The Earth to Cure Light Wounds 5" (using the Base 5 playtest that NERO Kentucky, and most NERO chapters, use).

I see that you're in Lexington. Much of the NERO Kentucky player base is in Lexington, if you want to get together sometime to discuss the game in more detail or anything there are plenty of people you could meet with.
Cirin Icerider

Postby CotoWindwalker » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:11 am

Necromany is the awesome and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Not that my PC would be caught dead using any of those spells.

See what I did there, caught dead.

Yeah I'm going back to work

Cory
CotoWindwalker

Postby mnapier » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:16 pm

I may as well chime in here also, as a new player. I am a gamer from way back but never tried larping. I look forward to my first Nero event, and I am hoping to attend my first Larp event this weekend (nov 8-9) (Bloodlines).
mnapier

Return to Out-of-Game Board